Today is Thanksgiving day. A day where my dad goes to Wisconsin to hunt and my mom, sister and I are at home. A day where we get together with friends and family. We eat tons of turkey, stuffing and of course pie. We think of things to be thankful for and pray. But this Thanksgiving today is disappointing to my family.
Our original plans: Go to the local homeless shelter and volunteer at the front desk for four hours so the regulars can have a break to be with family. We were then going to go to a friends house down the road and eat left overs there.
THEN. . . Our friend call last night and she told us we can't come. My mother had been sick for a while and has a terrible cough. She is not sick anymore but still has gunk in her lungs. So, our friend called and explained that her father-in-law has weak lungs and can catch just about anything. Her mother-in-law was very worried so we were "un-invited" (though we did invite our selves). So that was that.
This morning we got up and hurried over to the shelter to run the front desk. About 20 minutes in (maybe less) the regular worker came in. We decided that four people behind a very small desk was too crowded and we decided to leave. On the way home we called another friend and asked if we could go there. Long story short we were told no.
Now we are home and I am blogging my story. As my blog profile is named I learn throughout life. Though today was not my dream Thanksgiving I am still thankful for what I do have. A loving family, wonderful friends, a warm house and a good education. I am learning that you do not have to be with other people to be thankful. Though it might be a bummer life will go on and as my dad says "just hunky dorey"!

No comments:
Post a Comment